Sunday 15 January 2017

You flood my heart

You flood my heart.

I am stunned by You.
Stunned by Your goodness, Your faithfulness, Your generosity, Your perseverance
with one so sinful, so unfaithful, so selfish, so impatient

Lord, I am not worthy to receive You...

You flood my heart.

The psalms and the saints and the prayers of the Mass
whisper the love song that is You.

The husband who loves me;
My children who greet me each morning;
The beautiful friends, neighbours and strangers You put in my path;
The extraordinary ordinariness of homework and dishes and laundry;
The sunrise and the sunset, the rain and wind, the warmth and the cold
whisper the life of Your love.


In the Tabernacle;
Where two or three are gathered in Your name - Your Church - Your Body;
In chants carried up into the highest heavens;
Through the mystical portal of icons;
Under the veil of bread and wine -

You ARE.

You, who is being itself, willed my existence out of nothingness simply so
You could flood my heart...
so that I could know You and love You?

Such goodness, such love.
Unmerited, undeserved.

Lord, I am not worthy to receive You...
but by Your word You heal my soul?

Lord, let me love You with all my heart and all my mind and all my soul and all my strength.

Heal my brokenness, my blindness, my sin, my darkness, my selfishness - undo the knots, break the chains - so that my hands are free to serve You, my heart is free to love You, my feet are free to run to You, my mind is free to contemplate You, my lips are free to sing Your praise.

Free me to be washed away by the flood.
Drown me in the ocean of your mercy.
Turn my heart inside out so it is capable of containing You.



No comments:

Post a Comment